John Campbell (1857-1942) was born in Glasgow.From the Glasgow School of Art he was articled to John Gordon,the president of the Glasgow Institute of Architects. In 1882,he was working as a draughtsperson for Mason and Wales in Dunedin; his early architectural work included: Mt Cook Police Barracks(1894 probably with A.E. King), Dunedin Prison (1896), Dunedin Law Courts (1902),and the Public Trust Building, Wellington(1905). He was the Government Architect from 1909 to 1922. Many of his buildings use an Edwardian Baroque buildings style. Lew Martin notes that one of his staff describe him as: “a warm-hearted gentleman,sufficiently strict in business hours to win respect and get the job done, but very human in social contacts."