C J Brodrick

The versatile architect who was responsible for many of the grand buildings of Invercargill. Brodrick was Invercargill born, named for his uncle, famed Victorian architect Cuthbert Brodrick. He trained in Melbourne and made his way back to Invercargill, cementing his reputation with the Alexandra Buildings. Along with his partner, Royds, he went on to design the Grand Hotel, Troopers Memorial and many other banks and town institutions, turning his hand at all number of styles from stripped classical, through to arts and crafts and on to Art Deco before his retirement in 1943. Brodrick was also a member of the Borough Council for three terms and became Deputy Mayor.