Queens Redoubt

This was the forward base for the British Army at the end of the Great South Road. A year after it was established in 1862 it became the headquarters for the invasion of the Waikato An interpretation centre is being built here to help acquaint present day New Zealanders with the story of the war. 
Queen’s Redoubt was the largest earth-walled fortification built by British forces in New Zealand. It was one hundred yards square and capable of housing 450 men.


Great South Road Auckland by J C Hoyte