Dunedin Railway Station
Designed by Sir George Troup and built from 1904- 1907, this Flemish Renaissance-style station , is well-known to both rail enthusiasts and students of architecture, expressing the confidence of the Edwardian Age.
Its exuberant, ornate exterior earned architect George Troup the nickname ‘Gingerbread George’, but, with the knighthood awarded for his design, he surely had the last laugh over those critical of his work.
Built of Kokonga basalt and Oamaru limestone facings and incorporating a variety of shapes, textures and materials, the station is a "must see"
Lions guard the dome of the square 37m high clock tower; two smaller domes rise from the Marseille-tiled roof whose line has the additional decoration of seven dormer windows. The elaborate roof is balanced by an impressive colonnade leading to the main entrance. Don’t just enjoy the outside. Inside there’s a wonderful mosaic floor of some 700,000 porcelain squares incorporating the NZR logo and a steam train in the design. Steam locomotives also feature in stained glass windows. A surprising but delightful addition is the frieze of Royal Doulton cherubs adorning the walls below the balcony. Go up the tiled staircase for a good view of the foyer.
The station is a community asset with the Porters Lounge being a venue for Dunedin Fashion Week. Upstairs you will find the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame. On Saturday mornings the north car park is where to find the Otago Farmers market with vendors from all round the province.